How To Get Rid Of Black Mold For A Safe Environment

--- advertisements ---

The mold is made up of microscopic fungi – a group of organisms that includes mushrooms and yeast. Fungi are perfectly adapted to grow and multiply quickly, and in this process produce spores and mycelium. Spores appear after mycelial reproduction, can travel very long distances by air and underpin the development of the next generation of mold. It can be harmful or useful, depending on where it develops, it needs moisture to grow and if it develops inside the house, it can become harmful to the occupants and needs to be identified and removed. Thus, keep reading this article and find out how to get rid of black mold.

What does black mold do? About moisture, condensation, and dampness

Of all the favors for the appearance and development of black mold – oxygen, fungi, the right temperature, humidity – the only one on which to intervene without adversely affecting our living conditions is humidity. Moisture that persists between 3 and 7 days is sufficient for germination of black mold spores.

The most common sources of moisture in the home can be:

– Water that penetrates from the outside through floors, walls, defective windows or roof.
– Faulty installations inside
– Use of shower/bath for prolonged periods
– Laundry that dries in enclosed spaces
– Cooking without adequate steam removal solutions


Another condensing phenomenon is condensation, which is not permanent but occurs as a result of our daily activities when warm vapors meet the cold surface of the wall or glass. Repeated appearances and long periods of time in some rooms (baths) or areas (windows) can lead to the installation of mildew. Thermal bridges – the areas where insulating windows meet non-insulated walls – also favor condensation and, in the long run, mold.


When there are problems with the waterproofing of the building (ceiling, basement, walls) there is dampness, which is manifested by the retention of water in the pores of the materials from which the building is built. A damp wall is recognized by the damp spots, visible especially on the colored walls, by peeling (peeling off) the plaster layers or by installing the mold.

Why does black mold become a problem?

Because the materials they develop will be damaged in time: stains, fades and eventually attacks the structure.
The continued presence of mold indicates another problem: there is a dampness in the area that should not be there and can affect the structure of the building and the walls. It can affect the health of the residents: the growing and multiplying mold releases into the atmosphere spores and other types of harmful substances.

How do we keep black mold away from our home?

First, we clean it as soon as we find it. Wash surfaces that are washable, such as ceramic tiles, clean them with a normal detergent solution, then rinse and dry. Varnished surfaces or drywall cartons clean them with a dry cloth dipped in a little bit of bicarbonate or detergent water. Avoid wetting the surface too hard.

A very popular solution, especially for tiled areas, is the laundry bleach, but use it carefully: protect yourself so that the solution does not attack the hands, the vapors will not attack the airways, and the sensitive and Children do not enter the disinfected room for at least a few hours. This means thick gloves and mouth mask + nose, possibly goggles.

Another handy solution is vinegar: 2 parts water and 3 parts vinegar form a solution that sprays the affected area, lets act, then rinses with water. The advantage is that you do not use potentially hazardous chemicals in the house, and the smell of vinegar quickly disappears after the surface has dried.

Image Credits: Bob Vila

--- advertisements ---
It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Tumblr

Leave a Reply