Unfortunately, pet odors and stains accidents happen. Not to worry though.. I have the secret to cleaning up pet stains so there will be virtually no evidence of an unfortunate accident. Here is a tried and true recipe and step to take to remove urine stains and odor. Not only it is cheaper, but more effectively using everyday ingredients you probably have in your house already.
Homemade Carpet Freshener:
Here’s a great way to freshen any room, especially a room where you’ve cleaned up after pets.
This is a powdered carpet freshener that’s easy to make and doesn’t take much to make. The baking soda will help to remove old odors and the rest will add a nice scent to the room.
– 3 cups baking soda
– 20 drops of your favorite essential oil like lavender, jasmine, or vanilla
– Shaker jar to disperse
– Pour the baking soda in a medium size bowl and break up any clumps with a fork.
– Use your favorite essential oil like lavender, jasmine, or vanilla and sprinkle in the baking soda, stirring well to reduce lumps.
– Put the mixture in a shaker jar and sprinkle lightly on the carpet. Don’t overdo it. Just a light sprinkle is enough.
– Let sit on the carpet for 15 minutes or so and vacuum up.
Control Tips for Pet Owners:
To help keep pet odors at bay, be sure to follow these simple odor-reducing tips:
– Wash pet bedding weekly. Pet dander is a big odor inducer, so be sure to wash your pet’s bedding at least once a week to keep the odor down.
– Vacuum daily to remove pet hair and dander. Keeping up with pet odors means eliminating their source: pet hair and dander. One way to accomplish this is to vacuum daily, especially in areas where your pet sleeps.
– Use absorbents in high traffic areas and anyplace where your pet may have had an accident
– Clean pet accidents completely. One of the stinkiest and longest lasting pet odors to deal with are urine smells. – Do your best to prevent repeat accidents by walking your pet regularly; changing litter boxes and keeping pets away from areas where they may be tempted to urinate on the same spot again.
Homemade Room Deodorizers and Sprays:
For a quick and cheap way to freshen the air in a room, add a few drops of essential oil to a spray bottle of clean filtered water and spritz around your house, especially on curtains and upholstery.
A great way to add a pleasant scent to the room when vacuuming is to add a scented dryer sheet in your vacuum canister or bag to help keep odors from escaping the vacuum.
Image Credits: Photo by Katelin Kinney